I joined the department in 2014. Before that, starting in 2001, I was a professor in the department of Computing and Software, at McMaster University. I finished my Ph.D. in 2001 at the University of Toronto, under the supervision of Stephen Cook.
My research is in logic and algorithms, and I am especially interested in proofs of correctness. Currently I am working in the area of String Algorithms which involves combinatorial methods on finite words, and in Combinatorial Matrix Theory, which combines linear algebra, graph theory, and combinatorics, and has a rich algorithmic content. Recently I have also become interested in Ranking Algorithms, and especially in the elegant Pairwise Comparisons Method. I am a member of the Centre for Combinatorics on Words and Applications (CCWA).
The second edition of my book: An Introduction to the Analysis of Algorithms, has been published in 2012, and I am in the process of working on a 3rd edition, to be released in 2017.
I consult with business and industry in the field of Information Security, especially for Executek, where I am part of the executive leadership as director of IT, and for Algos. I have taught for many years a course on Networks & Security, and more recently at CI a course in Computer System Security. I am a member of Information Systems Security Association (ISSA), and on the Ventura Chapter Board, as well as a member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
Some professional highlights from recent years:
- March 23, 2017, Keynote speaker at the annual meeting of the Society of Military Engineers, SAME 2017, slides. Here is a short blog post.
- On April 21, 2016, it was a great honor to receive the 2016 Business & Technology Partnership Leadership Award. Here is my short blog post.
- Invited talk at LSD2016.
- In September 2014, I was awarded Best Paper at KES2014.
- In April 2013 I was honoured as “Best Prof” by the Software Engineering Club at McMaster.
- In July — December, 2012 I was a visiting professor in the mathematics deptartment at the University of California at San Diego.
- I was the Winner of the 2010/2011 McMaster Student Union teaching award for the faculty of Engineering.
- During the academic year 2007/2008 I was a “Visiting Ulam Professor” in the Department of Mathematics at the University of Colorado in Boulder.
- In February 2008, I taught a computational complexity workshop at the XV Escuela de Verano de Ciencias Informáticas, Departamento de Computación, Universidad Nacional de Río Cuarto, Argentina.
- During the Summer 2007 I was a visiting scholar in the Theoretical Computer Science Department at the Jagiellonian University.